Senior Analyst, Gross Profit Accounting
Day in the Life:
Accurate and timely Analytical review of Inventory Valuation reserves including oversight of the offshore teams control reviews. Participation in Period End close activities for GP and Inventory. Oversees the creation of internal reports for the team to support analytical reviews with a focus to ongoing improvements to identify issues and potential solutions upon report creation.. Also Provide ongoing customer service to merchants, stores and various finance teams for both awareness and investigation into financial results as needed.
- Valuation Reserves Portal Administration – validation of system output – Multi-million $ valuation adjustments
- Support the Director with administering audit communication & audit request lists to manage workload for the team – both internal and external
- Project support - responsible for test plans, execution & core conclusions on deployment readiness
- Participate in Period end closing processes, including processing month end journal entries.
- Provide customer support to the merchant, store and finance teams for any GP financial questions they may have.
- Champion timely resolution of system issues identified with the IT team.
- Challenge current processes for improved team efficiency.
What You Will Do:
Month End Close Support:
- During the period end close oversee the P&L data extracts and perform balancing reviews of the P&L
- Provide support for Alteration data gathering and posting to the stock ledger as well as control balancing
- Journal entry preparation and posting for various banners as required
- Perform stockledger control checks as assigned
- Review of designated Account Reconciliations to confirm accuracy and completeness by the preparer
- Perform data analytics and issue resolution recommendation for control clearing accounts
Evaluation Reserves & other Month End close support:
- Oversee the NRV Portal – supervising control checks, perform opening & closing of the periods
- Lead issue investigation. Communicate critical time lines & issues to senior team members & IT support teams
- On occasion accountable for data gathering & calculation of the inventory valuation outside of the Portal
- Key training support for Banner finance teams on Portal inputs and report education
- During the quarter end close ensure the NRV Portal reports are accurate and complete and raise any concerns immediately to the Director along with action plans to resolve the issue
- Responsible for managing timely resolution of production systems issues with IT support
- Oversee the creation of internal reports done by the offshore team to ensure they are actioned on time and consistently
- Where possible pursue automation of routine reports with the IT Team
- Champion timely resolution of system issues with the IT team
- Provide team support for any new data requests – determining if this is an enhancement to an existing report or a net new overall report and the timing and then working with offshore team to ensure resources are available to support the new request on an ongoing timely manner
- Where appropriate this role is expected to recommend solutions
Key Audit Contract:
- Key team contract for both Internal and External Auditors – working with the team/Director on communication, work load balancing, prioritization
- Ensure we have a list of key requests from Auditors prior to their engagement start times, Communicate key audit dates and requests lists with the GP team
- Liaise with Audit and our team to ensure audit requests are delivered in a timely manner
- Address audit concerns – liaising with specific business partners within the team as needed
Project Support & Documentation:
- Coordinate with IT team to ensure we are aware of upcoming projects potentially impacting financials and are aware of any changes
- Participate in kick off meetings for all projects impacting our team processes and/or financials
- Participate in the development of the User Accepting Test plan
- Ensure status updates, as appropriate, are provided within the team for all active projects
- Responsible for appropriate conclusions on test results & business readiness for project implementation
- Ensure timely sign off on the project after reviewing Analyst testing results and documentation
- Ensure Documentation for the project is captured on our lan drive as well as ALM or other project management tools
- Continually assess opportunities to improve processes to increase efficiencies with the goal to provide financial results on a more timely basis (eg. Daily/weekly) and to reduce the time required to close the month
- Ongoing review of opportunities among the banners to adopt a common accounting approach where possible
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree
- CPA Designation pursuit is preferred
- Strong knowledge of cost accounting methods and of the retail industry is preferred
- Solid analytical, investigative and problem solving abilities
- Data Query skills, and experience with large amounts of data
- Solid understanding of accounting standards
- Minimum of 1-2 years at the analyst level
- Process improvement experience
- Work in an international public company preferred
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Access and other Microsoft products
- Strong working knowledge of Oracle Fusion preferred
- Strong PC skills
- Strong communication skills – written and verbal
- Must be able to see and understand the bigger picture and impacts
- Team player with focus on customer service
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast paced environment
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount up to 40% including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate.
It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion, and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. Both businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, Canada’s preeminent multi-category retailer, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.7
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls — either entirely or with joint venture partners — approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto.
Interested in Social Media?
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing non discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence,compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.