Divisional Vice President, Planning - Apparel
About The Bay:
As North America’s oldest startup and Canada’s purpose-driven digital marketplace, The Bay is on a high-growth mission to rewrite the rules of retail to help Canadians live a colourful life. If you believe in the power of our iconic brand and thrive on problem solving at scale, we want you to join our team.
At The Bay, smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value ambitious work and great ideas grounded in data and insights. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, embrace change and are looking to make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
Interested in Social Media?
Day in the Life:
The Divisional Vice President, Planning - Apparel is critical in our transformation to a digital first organization and is responsible for driving sales and profit objectives for several merchandise categories, working in conjunction with their Divisional Merchandise Managers (DMM) partners and their respective buying teams for The Bay. This responsibility includes overseeing the development and successful execution of topside and store financial plans, assortment/ buy plans, and merchandise allocation and size planning strategies. The DPM is responsible for the supervision, training and development of a diverse team of Planners and their respective Assistant Planners. This role will actively support our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Framework by partnering with the DMM’s to identify new opportunities to increase the diversity of our products and brands, and lead with inclusion to nurture our OneTeam culture, while supporting our ongoing commitments to remove barriers for our Associates and communities.
What You Will Do:
- Financial Planning
- Partner with the DMM to conduct the Business Review, coordinate the development of the recommended vendor / store matrix, and communicate to the stores.
- Partner with Corporate Planning in the development of the Strawman
- Initiate and develop department sales and stock targets.
- Direct the development and finalization of department level store sales plans. Review and approve the monthly flow of department-level topside plans. Coordinate and approve the formal departmental topside plan review, and assist in the group level topside plan review. Partner with Regional Planning in the communication of topside and store plans to stores.
- Coordinate the development of class and key item plans.
- Leads the planning team in recommending potential systems and process enhancements relating to planning and open to buy.
- Purchasing, Allocation and Replenishment
- Recommends best practices for assortment planning and review allocation strategies.
- Directs and monitors the creation of the assortment matrix and buy plans.
- Oversees the development of allocation tables and sizing contribution grids and reviews allocation tables, store volume and other attribute clusters by merchandise category.
- Oversees the incorporation of store feedback into size planning and partners with the DMM on the development of store space strategies.
- Directs analysis to measure allocation effectiveness and supervises analysis pertaining to size selling.
- Reviews purchase order placement activity as well as the timely and accurate maintenance of and revisions made to purchase orders.
- Collaborates with buying team to identify distribution and vendor logistics opportunities.
- Supervises the development of case pack and order flow recommendations.
- Reviews transfer initiation requests and monitor merchandise transfers and locator activity. Supervises staff in providing systems expertise for other users (Buyer's Workmate, SPIN), and ensures and reviews recommendations for systems enhancement requests.
- Pricing and Marketing
- Review advertising and marketing plans and advertising effectiveness analysis.
- Conduct store visits as feasible.
- Open-to-Buy Monitoring
- Identifiy and communicate divisional OTB monthly trends and direction to Planning teams. Reviews and participates in the monthly OTB (forecast sales and inventories).
- Reviews inventory productivity (WOS, T/O) and recommends adjustments to business trends.
- Reviews actual to planned receipt performance and performance via the monthly stock ledger.
- Participate in the development and review of age of inventory/ exit strategies. Review markdown projections and vendor allowance projections.
- Review all pertinent factors (MU, MD's, VA, etc.) relating to profitability.
- Monitors and reviews the business plan by department to maximize sales and profitability.
- Reviews competitive analysis relating to the vendor/ store matrix.
- Stays abreast of industry trends and provides feedback from evaluating competition. Review key conclusions on style productivity and assortment breadth resulting from performing assortment analytics.
- Oversee the set up of the initial assortment plan framework and definition of seasonal assortment parameters.
- Evaluates sales unit performance reports for opportunities.
- Partners in attending market as feasible and necessary.
- People Development
- Lead, develop, retain, and recruit a diverse merchandising team capable of fulfilling business goals and objectives
What You Will Need:
- University or college degree or commensurate retail experience, MBA preferred
- Minimum 5-10 years of experience in a buying and / or planning capacity, with extensive experience in a management role and experience working in Digital Merchandising or building and driving digital sales
- Strong business and financial analysis skills. (Keen negotiation skills, exposure to vendor/retailer relation in the past)
- Strong retail math acumen, including elements of markup, margin planning, open to buy, inventory productivity measures (WOS, T/O, GMROI), master's understanding of budget frames
- Strong communication and presentation skills; extensive exposure to Sr. Management
- Excellent computer skills including MS Word and Excel; Buyers Workmate suite; i2 equivalent planning platform
- Demonstrated leadership skills, especially managing large teams
Who You Are:
- You act with a customer first approach and are passionate about enhancing the customer experience
- You build morale and a positive environment for your team by encouraging open dialogue, empowering team members, celebrating successes and providing constructive feedback
- You are an expert communicator with influencing skills that build strong business relationships beyond your immediate team by listening, building trust and collaborating
- Your strong business acumen, coupled with your effective communication skills, help you quickly build credibility, buy-in, and trust
- You offer a unique perspective, and can generate different ideas and ways of doings things, including looking for ways to improve
- You are results driven and possess strategic agility
- You have a proven ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment, delegate, and organize work well
- You are comfortable navigating change and challenging convention and you see change as an opportunity to improve
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount up to 40% including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance
Thank you for your interest In The Bay. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.