The Bay - Sr Category Manager Essentials - Grocery & Baby
About The Bay:
As North America’s oldest startup and Canada’s purpose-driven digital marketplace, The Bay is on a high-growth mission to rewrite the rules of retail to help Canadians live a colourful life. If you believe in the power of our iconic brand and thrive on problem solving at scale, we want you to join our team.
At The Bay, smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value ambitious work and great ideas grounded in data and insights. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, embrace change and are looking to make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We are building a digital-first company and brand for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to reach our potential. We strongly encourage applications from everyone to come and join a winning team that supports diverse thinking and demonstrates innovation, energy, creativity and vision every day.
Interested in Social Media?
Day in the Life:
The Senior Category Manager, Essentials maximizes sales and profitability for the Digital Essentials business through the development and implementation of assortment and merchandising strategy for their Category. This position ensures merchandise is purchased to maximize results while enhancing the overall department and company strategy. This role will actively support our DE&I framework by identifying opportunities to increase the diversity of our products and brands. They will lead with inclusion to nurture our OneTeam culture by removing barriers for our Associates and communities.
What You Will Do:
- Oversee the Category strategy and direct and implement improvements to drive growth in sales and profit, grow market share, and increase customer engagement
- Utilize market research (including category, competitor and customer information) to create the e-commerce assortment strategy to deliver the e-commerce P&L. •
- Lead the development of the category playbooks, including defining category roles and intents, product range, key suppliers, pricing and promotions, mix and margins, and sourcing strategy / supply chain approach
- Translate category playbooks into SKU-level assortment
- Monitor industry trends, evaluate competition, and ensure a current and competitive product offering
- Build strong relationships with suppliers; Lead negotiations to secure effective costing and direct the building out of optimized assortment strategies
- Work with suppliers and industry partners on SKU-level data requirements.
- Work with replenishment team on demand plans and forecasts based on business trends and patterns. Identify risks to demand forecast and implement effective mitigation strategies.
- Work with marketing team on promotions strategy, ad planning process, and site / app placements (including supplier-funded promotions)
- Responsible for management of own category performance to deliver the e-commerce P&L, including sales, margin, profit, inventory and market share
- Conduct post-buy analysis to inform future buying decisions
- Communicate and report e-commerce category performance and financial results
- Conduct in depth analysis of sales and customer behavior, using data to drive business recommendations
- Create digital merchandising strategies for all sequencing and boosting based on analytics of key trends, KPI’s and business priorities
- Develop and execute digital editorial content for the Category, utilizing UX best practices and bringing the business strategies to life online
- Thoroughly understand competitive landscape primarily focused on navigation and customer experience and make recommendations to incorporate into business
- Understand customer diversity; create strategies that support our DE&I initiatives and reflect the nuances of buying for various geographic cultures.
What You Will Need:
- Post-secondary degree in Business or related field
- 5+ years’ experience understanding the category management process, buying and developing action plans to grow sales and Profitability
- Category management background; experience with buying and/or pricing.
- E-Commerce experience is a plus; particularly within HABA, personal care, household and grocery
- Account management or relationship management experience (previous work with suppliers, vendors, agencies, etc.)
- Analytical background (sales, business analyst type role) or content related background (enrichment, onboarding items, article set-up etc.)
- Experience building or working in a start-up type business with a strong process oriented approach to solving problems
- Working knowledge in site analytics tools (Google Analytics or Adobe Omniture)
- Strong knowledge of G-Suite and Microsoft Office Suite (especially Excel and PowerPoint) and the ability to quickly learn internal systems, processes and additional software/web-based applications
- Have an understanding of and passion for digital retail landscape
- Proven ability to create and execute a sound business strategy.
- Ability to build / maintain strong Vendor partnerships.
- Demonstrate effective negotiation skills and actively control the negotiation process that results in mutually beneficial outcomes and build the vendor relationship.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent writing, speaking, and presentation skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Comfortable with change and able to make quick decisions
- Strong aptitude to work within deadlines, both independently and as part of a team
What You Can Expect:
- Competitive salary and benefits package
- Associate discount up to 40% including top brands
- Flexible work environment that allows for work-life balance
Thank you for your interest In The Bay. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The Bay provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Bay complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.