Senior Manager, Digital Engineering
Day In The Life:
The Senior Engineering Manager on the Web Platform at thebay.com is accountable for multiple projects, supports 5-20 engineers on their team with regular 1:1’s, and works to identify and support the growth of needed capabilities for successful delivery – be they app development, data integration, test automation, etc. The Senior Manager’s primary goal is to sustain team members and facilitate their work while feeding a culture that emphasizes customer experience, quality engineering, and innovation in a global delivery setting.
This individual will drive the definition and delivery of new core e-commerce services to support customer interactions on web, mobile, and third-party partners realization. Using modern software designs and technologies they will enhance the existing core systems for better scalability, availability, and productivity.
The Senior Engineering Manager works with technical and product leaders of other organizations (logistics, customer service, analytics, etc.) to determine requirements for and integrate with other systems with respect to the consumer experience. They present clear, business-oriented (but technically detailed) briefs as needed to the executive team in order to promote transparency and understanding of complex technical topics across the company.
What You Will Do:
- Design and develop world-class software applications to bring industry-leading shopping experiences to market
- Ensure software architecture aligns with user needs to bring high-value products to market
- Enable predictable and iterative software delivery by providing leadership in an Agile team environment
- Bring expertise in investigation and resolution of technical problems within the organization
- Maintain awareness of industry trends and evaluate the applicability of new software technologies for ensuring the best possible consumer experience
- Drive innovation at a software product level and contribute ideas to the product roadmap
- Mentor junior managers and emerging leaders
- Build a culture of pride and ownership over code quality, scalable architecture, security, and data privacy
What You Will Need:
- 12 + years of experience in software development, with a focus on systems architecture, interoperability, and data integrity
- 3+ years leading teams of engineers
- Relevant experience in optimizing data flows between multiple systems, architecting data integrity, a single source of truth, and providing the right digital solution for internal stakeholders
- Deep technical and architectural experience with current ability to write significant code, build systems from scratch, and maintain or re-architect legacy in-house built systems
- Experience in architecture and performance optimization of highly scalable ecommerce platforms
- Experience with designing and developing BFF (Backend For Frontend) orchestration/integration layer
- Knowledge of (and a passion for) current trends and best practices in programming, including performance, accessibility and security
- Experience in API-First principles and design API adheres to SLA
- Experience and knowledge in BFF principles and technologies, like GraphQL (Apollo, AWS AppSync)
- Experience and knowledge in Polyglot Persistence
- Experience in Microservices and Serverless architecture on AWS
- Experience with package managers like NPM, Yarn
- Experience with writing Unit tests, Load Testing, Contract Testing
- Experience with build tools such as Gulp/Webpack
- Experience with Agile methodologies and collaboration Tools like Jira and Confluence
- Experience with Python, Typescript and NodeJS
- Experience in GitHub and CICD
- Preferred but not required:
- Experience in implementing Search Engine through a custom solution or a SaaS platform
- Background in B2C commerce Vertical
- Experience in SalesForce Commerce Cloud
- Experience working with SFCC Open Commerce API (OCAPI) or SCAPI
- Consummate collaborator that seeks to find optimal trade-offs, and provide confidence in myriad stakeholders to whom your team will provide solutions
- Data-driven, analytical, strong communicator, who understands and relishes in the big picture, but understands the importance of every detail
- An exceptional leader with an ownership mentality
- Steeped in understanding and practice of agile software development
- Natural problem solver who understands how to start from the why, and uses first principles to get to a meaningful what and how
What You Can Expect:
- A People-first culture where One Team spirit and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are celebrated and promoted at every step of the way
- An opportunity to work with highly supportive teams to help you build the career you want and leave your Stripe at The Bay
- A competitive benefits package including unlimited paid vacation, medical, dental, vision, parental leave top up coverages, retirement savings and more
- A ways of Working Program that enables you to work where you are most effective
- A living Well Program that provides a variety of offerings and resources to enhance your physical, mental, and financial wellness, including corporate gym membership rates.
- An amazing associate discount of up to 40% off top brands
About The Bay:
As Canada’s oldest startup, The Bay is a digital-first, purpose-led retailer. Our mission is to help Canadians live their best style of life.
The Bay is on a high-growth trajectory to become one of the largest digital retail businesses in Canada through TheBay.com and its Marketplace. If you are looking to join an iconic brand, create impactful change and be recognized for your work, we want you to join our team.
At The Bay, smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value ambitious work and great ideas grounded in data and insights. We are looking for talented people who love a fast-paced environment, embrace change and are looking to make an impact with groundbreaking ideas.
We are a digital-first company and brand for a diverse world and we need a diverse team to reach our potential. Come and join a winning team that supports collaboration and demonstrates innovation, energy, creativity and vision every day.
Interested in Social Media?
NOTE: Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest In The Bay. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The Bay provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, The Bay complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.