Lead Building Operator, Montreal
Reporting to the Regional Facilities Maintenance Manager, Eastern Canada, this position will provide technical and operational support to the retail property, including maintaining two stores and supervising two building operators in the greater Montreal area and a Building Operator in Quebec City. Duties will include, overseeing troubleshooting, minor repairs, preventative maintenance, regular inspections and ensuring the smooth operation of the heating and cooling systems. This position supports all, to include implementing corrective, preventive and predictive maintenance practices on all facilities equipment and infrastructure. This role is critical to ensuring uninterrupted service of all operations and in maintaining a safe, comfortable working environment for all employees.
- Manage the building maintenance operations for the assigned stores, and ensure proper operation and maintenance of systems, equipment and buildings
- Perform routine equipment maintenance tasks and keep maintenance records
- Ensure the safety of the buildings, staff and public from fire, flood and other hazards by ensuring that all mandated tests and inspections are carried out
- Supervise, plan and organize Facilities Team Member’s activities in support of general facilities repair
- Respond to emergencies; oversee any work performed by outside forces, whether it is a portion of scheduled maintenance that is outsourced or major/minor repairs
- Be available for on-call duty to respond to emergency situations 24 hours a day
- Address current and future needs of all buildings within the assigned areas through regular inspections of all buildings within the assigned area
- Identify, prioritizes and recommends all required new projects, equipment replacement or preventative maintenance work on a proactive basis, to ensure uninterrupted service.
- Defines scope of work of both major and minor facility maintenance and repairs projects, sources vendors
- Co-ordinates, schedules, monitors and completes projects on schedule and on budget.
- Regularly evaluates and recommends effective allocation of resources, including staff, based on the workload of the team. Manage the daily operations with a strong commitment to customer service.
- Applicants should have 2-5 years experience in a retail environment and have exposure to Boilers/Chillers, proficiency with Building Automated System (BAS) and familiarity with different HVAC systems includes replacement, repair/adjustments to motors, belts, pumps, bearing
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience with proven results of increased efficiency with a demonstrated record of creating/maintaining effective staff development
- High level of knowledge of building operation, structure, engineering system, architectural features, equipment function, building codes and regulations for public buildings
- Advanced knowledge of generally accepted facilities management principles and practice
- Ability to manage multiple activities/projects simultaneously, work independently, assess priorities to meet deadlines with attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to liaise with internal customers, team members, and external contacts
- Excellent communication skills in written comments and correspondence to promote respectful and collaborative team environment.
· High School diploma or equivalent
· 2 -5 years Building Operation or Stationary Engineer experience
· Valid Driver’s License
· Pass required security check
· Previous exposure and work experience with automated systems
· Must be mechanically inclined
· Independent worker / self starter
· PC literate and demonstrated ability with Microsoft Office
· Demonstrated work ethic
· The position is achievement oriented and requires resourcefulness to meet service delivery goals
· This position requires “handyman” aptitude (i.e., minor building envelope and systems
Licenses or professional accreditation (one of the following)
- Building Operator Certification or equivalent through an accredited institution required
- Provincial HVAC or Apprentice License (gasfitter, refrigeration license/ similar license)
Thank you for your interest with HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.