Cloud Operations Engineer
Day In The Life:
As a Cloud Operations Engineer you will work closely within all facets of the HBC technology stack to ensure stability and uptime in our Production environments. You will be managing delivery, tuning, optimization, cost, and performance of workloads and services that run in our cloud environments (Azure, AWS, IBM Cloud), including physical Data Centers. You will be part of a team responsible for incident triage, day to day operations and maintenance, change implementation, front end performance, production readiness assurance, production monitoring, and project implementation planning. You will work with product owners to assist in prioritizing defects and work closely with Application Development teams, Cloud Architects, and DevOps to troubleshoot, plan, and deploy.
What You Will Do:
- Responsible for the day-to-day availability, monitoring, maintenance, incident response and resolution within the cloud, currently Azure, AWS, and IBM Cloud.
- Work closely with multiple teams and organizations to ensure all services' health meets defined SLAs.
- Troubleshoot and perform the initial triage of failed processes and instances in large scale systems
- Communicate effectively with stakeholders including team leads, managers, and directors and above
- Communicate cloud governance standards across the organization
- Document and encourage adoption of new cloud systems and technology throughout the organization
- Communicate architecture designs, risks, and timelines to stakeholders - most likely architecture & engineering teams.
- Provide thorough documentation for all work using strong written skills.
- Follow and implement risk and compliance policies and procedures.
- Actively contribute in a dynamic team to ensure continuous improvement of processes, policies, automation, and self.
- Continue to develop personally and professionally with internal and extra-curricular training.
- This position assists with the deployment and day to day administration and maintenance of environments hosted in the cloud.
- Demonstrated proficiency with cloud development principles, managed services and Infrastructure as code (Terraform).
- Design and implement automated processes using Terraform for cloud network environments eliminating manual and repetitive tasks
- Monitor work and ticket queues to assure issues are addressed and escalated as needed.
- Maintain an accurate picture of existing server, storage, networking software, and hardware and virtual environments to support scaling against various project requirements.
- Manage cloud infrastructure to maintain operational stability and security, including planned hardware and VM maintenance, patching, software upgrades, etc.
- Have a sense of ownership and responsibility of cloud technology
- Have a sense of ownership and responsibility of cloud governance
- Support implementation of projects from inception to post-release
What You Will Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems
- 5+ years of overall experience into Information Technology
- 3+ years of experience with AppDynamic, New Relic, Nagios, Datadog, Cloudwatch, PagerDuty or similar monitoring and alerting platforms.
- 3+ years of experience in incident management or production support
- 3+ years of technical experience in the retail or e-commerce space
- 2+ years of experience with CDN providers, i.e. Akamai, Cloudflare
- 3+ years of experience into any of AWS cloud technologies
- 2+ years in CI/CD tools and understanding of release and deployment cycle concepts.
- Strong experience in Windows and *nix environments
- Excellent understanding of TCP/IP and network communications
- Functional knowledge and experience with text and data representation and manipulation (XML, HTML, Regular Expressions, Scripting, SQL)
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to quickly understand security systems in order to identify and validate security requirements
- Ability to manage multiple projects, priorities and deadlines
- Demonstrated initiative, customer orientation and teamwork competencies
- Adaptability, flexibility and ability to work as part of a team or in an individual capacity
- Must demonstrate effective decision making, results delivery, and the ability to stay current with relevant technologies and security practices.
- Willingness to work outside of regular business hours as required which can include evenings, weekends and holidays
- Ability to handle and maintain the integrity and confidentiality of highly sensitive material and information
- Ability to work in remote environment and concentrate on complex tasks for extended periods of time
What You Can Expect:
A fast-moving environment where you will embrace change to ensure the company is competitive and future forward
A People-first culture where Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are celebrated and promoted at every step of the way
An opportunity to work with highly supportive teams to help you build the career you want
A Competitive benefits package including Flexible paid time off, medical, dental, vision, 401(k) and more
An amazing Associate discount of up to 40% off of top brands at all of our retail locations
HBC is a holding company of investments and businesses at the intersection of technology, retail operations and real estate. It is the majority owner of iconic ecommerce companies: Saks, a leading online destination for luxury fashion; The Bay, a Canadian ecommerce marketplace; and Saks OFF 5TH, a premier luxury off-price ecommerce company offering top brands at the best prices. These businesses were established as separate operating companies in 2021. HBC also wholly owns Hudson’s Bay, the operating company for Hudson’s Bay’s brick-and-mortar stores, as well as SFA, the entity that operates Saks Fifth Avenue’s physical locations, and O5, the operating company for Saks OFF 5TH stores.
With assets spanning top markets and prime locations across North America, HBC owns or controls—either entirely or with joint venture partners—approximately 40 million square feet of gross leasable area. HBC Properties and Investments, the company’s real estate and investments portfolio business, manages these assets along with additional real estate offerings, including Streetworks Development, its property development division.
Founded in 1670, HBC is North America’s longest continually operating company and is headquartered in New York and Toronto. For more information visit: www.hbc.com.
Interested in Social Media?
Follow us on LinkedIn
NOTE: Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest In HBC. We look forward to reviewing your application.
HBC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
HBC welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.