Lead a Brilliant Career.
Bring your authentic self to work every day, and help our customers express themselves, style their homes, and live their lives in a way that reflects who they truly are.
As a brand, we celebrate the differences that make each and every one of us unique because we believe that people shouldn't fit archetypes.
So why should your career be anything less than extraordinary?
What to Expect:
As the PR Director, you will be at the forefront of enhancing the public image and positioning of Hudson’s Bay and Zellers. You will be responsible for spearheading dynamic public relations strategies, forging media relationships, and creating compelling campaigns and narratives that resonate with diverse audiences. You will also oversee the measurement and results of the department, and help lead and grow team members. This role reports to the VP of Corporate Communications, PR, Heritage, Social Media, and Events.
What you will do:
- Manage the day-to-day operations of PR for Hudson’s Bay and Zellers
- Develop annual and project-based PR strategies that align with overarching business goals and needs. Collaborate closely with the Social Media and Event teams to ensure synergistic approaches to campaigns and initiatives.
- Foster and uphold robust relationships with media representatives across platforms, including print, digital, and broadcast. Execute nationwide pitches, securing coverage for campaign launches, events, and brands.
- Support the development and implementation of crisis communication plans and assist the VP in coordinating responses to balance negative press.
- Draft, edit, and oversee VP approvals for external communications, adapting tonality based on various audience needs, including press releases, media alerts, and other critical communication materials.
- Oversee external PR agencies, guiding them on strategy and tactics, and lead collaboration with internal stakeholders for product launches and events.
- Provide strategic communications counsel to the leadership team in collaboration with the VP. Craft briefing materials and ensure interview readiness.
- Analyze key performance indicators, such as media coverage, sentiment analysis, and ad value, and provide regular reports on PR performance to senior management.
- Execute PR paid media (e.g., broadcast segment bookings, talent negotiation, etc.).
- Guide junior associates, overseeing all PR media activities, press materials, and pitching efforts.
- Manage the PR Specialist(s), ensuring skill development and workload management.
- Serve as a liaison between the PR team and internal departments, including events, social media, merchandising, and store operations.
- Handle administrative tasks, including overseeing the PR budget, managing invoice trackers, and supervising daily press coverage monitoring, report creation, and product pulls.
- Some weekend/evening work may be required.
What you will bring to the team:
- Holds a post-graduate degree or certificate in PR/Communications or Marketing
- Minimum 10 years of experience spearheading dynamic public relations strategies
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, with a working knowledge of tools such as Cision and other PR-related software
- In-depth understanding of the Canadian media landscape
- Established contacts within fashion, lifestyle, and retail media
- Proven track record in media relations, with a strong capability in leveraging business storytelling for varied audiences.
- Experience with budget management and oversight.
- Ability to address and navigate through complex, fast-paced, and unanticipated challenges.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills (a writing test will be required)
- Bilingual proficiency is an asset
- Experience with Adobe Suite is an asset
What’s in it for you?
- A people-focused culture of belonging where Reconciliation & Inclusion are integral to what we do
- Employee Resource Groups that offer a unique opportunity to connect with diverse colleagues
- Leadership coaching and development opportunities at all levels
- Benefits package inclusive of parental leave top-up, retirement savings, “Living Well” Program, and more
- A generous Associate discount of up to 40% off of top brands
- Work-life balance through a hybrid work model and flexible paid-time-off
The Fabric of Hudson’s Bay
Hudson's Bay has established a reputation for quality and style through an unrivaled assortment of products and categories including fashion, home, beauty, food concepts, and more. Hudson's Bay operates under the HBC brand portfolio. Founded in 1670, HBC is North America's oldest company. Hudson’s Bay helps Canadians live their best style of life by operating thebay.com featuring Marketplace, one of the largest premium life & style digital platforms in Canada, with a seamless connection to a network of Hudson’s Bay stores from coast to coast.
At Hudson’s Bay, smart, high-performing team members will challenge you to learn and grow every day. We value ambitious work and great ideas grounded in data and insights. We strive everyday to provide our customers with an experience they will value with our products, services and dedication towards adapting to the ever changing environment of retail.
This role will actively support our DE&I framework by identifying opportunities to increase and promote diversity in our teams, products and brands. They will lead with inclusion to nurture our OneTeam culture by removing barriers for our Associates and communities.
Thank you for your interest In The Bay. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The Bay provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.