Lead a Brilliant Career.
Bring your authentic self to work every day, and help our customers express themselves, style their homes, and live their lives in a way that reflects who they truly are.
As a brand, we celebrate the differences that make each and every one of us unique because we believe that people shouldn't fit archetypes.
So why should your career be anything less than extraordinary?
What to Expect:
The Director, Associate Labour & Employment Counsel supports all aspects of the organization with respect to employment and labour law. The successful candidate will work closely with their Human Resource and business partners to manage legal risk, while effectively and efficiently delivering added value to the business operations across Canada.
● Advise HR professionals and business managers regarding national employment-related matters including on topics such as recruitment, contractual matters, attendance and disability management, performance management, termination, and human rights law
● Advise HR professionals on developing legislative and regulatory changes that affect employment and labour obligations, strategies and risks
● Manage labour relations strategy, including participating in collective bargaining and grievances for the company’s stores and distribution centres
● Review and develop internal policies and procedures to ensure regulatory compliance and best practices
● Partner with HR and other business partners to develop and deliver policies as well as proactive training to business leaders on a wide variety of employment law matters
● Manage litigation regarding wrongful dismissal and LTD actions, human rights applications, Ministry of Labour complaints, arbitration proceedings.
● Initiate legal action, as may be required, to safeguard the interests of HBC
● Advise HR and assist in negotiating employment-related documents, including employment and separation agreements
● Conduct and support internal investigations to ensure they are completed in an empathetic, fair, neutral, through and timely manner
What you will bring to the team:
● You are able to identify business risks and to develop mitigation strategies.
● You have a strong advocacy and relationship building skills, and are able to communicate effectively with various client groups, co-workers, senior executives and colleagues at all levels.
● You are comfortable presenting in front of all levels of senior management and external business partners.
● You are a highly driven and results oriented individual, comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced, and changing environment.
● You have proven time management skills and are comfortable managing multiple projects,and dealing with shifting priorities.
● A natural problem-solver, who is also intuitively analytical and attentive.
● 5+ years of working experience obtained in the employment/labour group of a top-tier law firm, reputable employment/labour boutique or in-house in employment legal department (ideally a retail environment).
● Membership in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada, with demonstrated expertise in labour and employment law.
● Benefits package inclusive of parental leave top up, retirement savings, “Living Well” Program, and more
● A generous Associate discount of up to 40% off of top brands
● Work-life balance through a hybrid work model and flexible paid-time-off
Thank you for your interest In The Bay. We look forward to reviewing your application.
The Bay provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, HBC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
The Bay welcomes all applicants for this position. Should you be individually selected to participate in an assessment or selection process, accommodations are available upon request in relation to the materials or processes to be used.